Carrot Cake Oatmeal
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup milk (or other milky substance)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup mango, diced (could also use pineapple)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
1 oz (about 2 tbsp) of plain yogurt
1 tsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp shredded unsweetened or sweetened coconut
- In a saucepan combine the oats, milk, water, shredded carrot, mango and salt.
- Turn heat to medium and stir occasionally until mixture comes almost to a boil and most of the liquid is absorbed, which takes about 5-7 minutes.
- While oats are cooking make “icing” by blending the yogurt with maple syrup.
- When oats are done, stir in vanilla extract and brown sugar (if desired).
- Pour oats into bowl. Top with shredded coconut and drizzle icing on top.
I found this recipe on Kath Eats and I am so glad I did. This is now one of my favorite breakfasts, It is very filling and refreshing. The carrots and coconut give this oatmeal a nice added texture. Her recipe includes nuts however I am not a big fan of nuts on food:) I like eating them by themselves so I omitted the nuts, so for all you nut lovers out there, you could add 1 Tbsp of toasted chopped pecans.