A light and moist yogurt cake, topped with fresh apple slices and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, a perfect accompaniment to your morning coffee or tea!
I tried to make this a simple recipe so you can whip this up in no time, the longest thing is waiting for it to get out of the oven!
Apple Yogurt Coffee Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced – I used a Gala apple
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch round springform pan and line the bottom with waxed paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, then add the yogurt, and stir until smooth. Spoon the batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Arrange the apple slices evenly over the mixture in a circular pattern, starting in the center. In a small bowl add the sugar and cinnamon, mix together. Sprinkle the apple slices with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Melt the butter and drizzle over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Leave in the pan for 5 minutes to cool, pop open the springform pan, cut and enjoy.