These scones are lightly sweet and have a slight orange flavor. Try these scones for breakfast or with your favorite cup of tea, I don’t think you will be disappointed!The dough for these scones is super simple to work with. The outside of these scones have a nice crunch and the inside has a wonderful moist texture, These Orange Ricotta Scones did not last long. This is also a great recipe to use up some Ricotta Cheese, for all of you who just happen to have some taking up space in the fridge.
Orange Ricotta Scones
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp orange zest, grated
3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp orange extract or flavor(oil)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest.
- Using a pastry blender, your fingers or 2 knives, cut in the ricotta and butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Gently stir in the buttermilk, orange flavor and vanilla extract.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead gently for 1 – 2 minutes, the dough should hold together but be a bit crumbly.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges (don’t separate the wedges). Use a pastry brush to brush the surface of the dough with egg; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 400F for 16 – 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.