I know you may be thinking this may be some kind of cooking experiment gone wrong, but hey this IS a recipe and it was fun to make so I figured I would give you all the ingredients to make an Exploding Volcano! So grab the kids, your crazy friends or just yourself and make an exploding volcano, hey it gives you something to do and a reason to get messy!
6 cups flour
2 cups salt
4 Tbsp oil
2 cups water
1 plastic bottle (2 liter, we used 2 (.5 liter) water bottles)
red food coloring
6 drops liquid dish detergent
2 Tbsp baking soda
- Create a salt dough by mixing the flour, salt, oil and 2 cups water in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until the dough is smooth and firm. Add a little bit more water to the mixture if needed.
- Stand the clean plastic bottle(s) in the middle of the baking sheet. Mold the salt dough around the bottle(s), making sure that you don’t cover up the bottle mouth (the hole at the top) or drop any dough into the bottle(s). Take your time and build the volcano of your dreams! We used two different bottles so we could do different colors in each bottle.
- Add the food coloring to the bottle(s). Fill the bottle(s) most of the way with warm water mixing with the red food coloring.
- Add liquid dish detergent into the bottle. Add baking soda to the water/detergent mixture in the bottle.
- Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle and jump back!
Notice the red “lava” that flows out of your volcano. This happens because of the baking soda and vinegar mixture. By mixing the two together you produce a chemical reaction in which carbon dioxide gas is created – the same gas that bubbles in a real volcano! The gas bubbles build up in the bottle, forcing the liquid “lava” mixture out of the bottle and down the sides of your volcano. I got this experiment from 2 Cool Baby.