This is a creamy pasta dish with a little kick of spice from Turkey Andouille Sausage.
Creamy Penne Pasta with Turkey Andouille Sausage
1 pound whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
4 turkey andouille sausages, cut into rounds
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups baby spinach, packed
4 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the penne pasta until tender, according to package instructions and cooking the turkey andouille sausage. Drain the sausage onto a paper towel once cooked to drain any grease.
- While the pasta and turkey sausage is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil to the skillet and once the oil is warm add the garlic. Saute the garlic until it is lightly golden. Add the baby spinach to the skillet and stir to mix with the garlic. Continue cooking and stirring until the spinach is completely wilted.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and salt; whisk. Add milk all at once. Continue to cook over medium heat until it begins to bubble and thicken, stirring continuously. Add the parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Whisk until smooth. If the sauce is too thick you could always add milk to thin out the sauce a bit.
- Add the cooked penne pasta and turkey andouille sausage to spinach mixture in skillet; Stir to combine.
- Pour the creamy white sauce over to of mixture in skillet and stir to combine.
Serve and top with shredded parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
I bought a couple packages of Turkey Andouille Sausage and wanted to try some things with it. The Turkey Andouille has some heat to it and I thought it would be good in a creamy pasta dish to balance out the spice. This pasta dish is quick and easy and can be made any night or day of the week!