Italian Rainbow Cookies
1 (8 ounce)can almond paste
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
12 drops red food coloring
10 drops green food coloring
12 drops yellow food coloring
1/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
1/4 cup apricot jam
1 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease three 9×13 inch baking pans, then line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 ends, then grease paper.
- In a large bowl, break apart almond paste with a fork, and cream together with butter, 3/4 cup of the sugar, egg yolks, and almond extract. When mixture is fluffy and smooth, stir in flour and salt to form a dough.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until they just hold stiff peaks. Add 1/4(remaining) cup sugar a little at a time, beating at high speed until whites hold stiff, slightly glossy peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the dough. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Mix one portion with red food coloring, one with green food coloring and one with yellow food coloring. Spread each portion into one of the prepared baking pans.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Carefully remove from pan and parchment paper, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Line a baking sheet with enough plastic wrap to wrap all three layers. Place pink layer onto the plastic wrap, spread pink layer with raspberry jam, and top with yellow layer, spread yellow layer with apricot jam, and top with green layer. Enclose with plastic wrap. Place a heavy pan or cutting board on top of wrapped layers to compress. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bring layers to room temperature. Melt the chocolate chips with butter and milk/cream, Quickly spread half of chocolate in a thin layer on top of cake. Chill, uncovered, until chocolate is firm. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and place another baking sheet on top, then invert cake onto sheet. Quickly spread with remaining chocolate. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.Cut lengthwise into 4 strips then cut strips crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide cookies.